Tire Math

Hi All,

It's time for a new set of tires on my '64 300 Sport. The service manual says that the wheels are 14x6K and that they take a 8.00-14 size tire. But I noticed that the same year New Yorker uses the same wheel (14x6K) and takes a 8.50-14 tire. What's the difference? The car currently has G78-14 bias ply tires on it from the previous owner. I don't have a clue if those are the right size. I called some local tire stores and they couldn't agree on weather I needed a 215/75R14 or a 225/75R14. What's the difference there? I guess I'm just 'under-educated' when it comes to tires and sizes.

I guess the other question that I'm looking for opinions on is if I should stay with bias ply tires for originality or use radial ones for better ride. I assume the radials handle better and are safer. Is that the case? I do drive the car a bit, it's more of a driver than a show car. Is there any drawback to radials, other than not being bone stock?

Thanks for your advise & help,

Terry Lynch
'64 300 Sport convertible
St. Petersburg, FL (Still waiting for the temps to get out of the 80's so the holiday spirit will hit!)