From: "Vath, Michael J." <MJVATH@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Roger Schaaf'" <obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <mjraguse@xxxxxxx>;
<Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 6:34 AM
Subject: RE: Removing the 57/58 backlight..rear window

Be not afraid!  (just careful & patient). Before doing anything else,
prepare a place to store the glass upright. No contact with cement, stone,
etc.  My wife's dining room is an ideal place.

Once the window trim/stainless is removed, spend lots of time unlocking,
spreading and de-gooking the rubber weather/lock strip before pushing on the
glass. Those plastic Popsicle sticks available from glass dealers & Gary
Goers (etc) work wonders. Try not to use a screwdriver. A washcloth soaked
in very soapy water also helps. Rag a bit of very soapy water over the black
rubber. Work the unlocking/zipper tool gently into the lock strip then slide
at an angle to pop-out the strip's edge all the way around. Lube as you go.
Do a similar deal on the glass-seating area. The rubber will start to spread
open as you pull it away from the glass. The more open, the better. Use your
thumbs to push/move/open the seal. (Do not use metal tools next to glass - &
positively no prying!) Since over the years the glass may have been
re-sealed using various glues & schmutz, you never know which side of the
weatherstrip will let-go first; the metal side or the glass side.
Pre-loosening both helps prevent any tearing of the strip while removing.

Once the foreplay is done, fetch at least one steady-handed & long-armed
neighbor to help. If fancy suction cup pullers aren't available, hop into
the back seat and gently/EVENLY push outward with arms spread wide.  You'll
hear and feel the remaining seal letting-go. Do not push in only one
area...work around the upper perimeter until you've heard & felt the seal
break. You may even want to go back outside to do more work on the strip.
The more - the better. Have a blanket or some towels on the decklid area to
prevent scratching from glass, tools, etc. Your neighbor is there to tell
you where things are sticking and to help hold/steady/carry the glass. Don't
forget to tell him you want to preserve/re-use the rubber weatherstrip.
With gloves on, remove the glass. Be ready to do some more gentle
weatherstrip separation while holding the glass upright. It'll usually stick
to some of the glass AND some of the steel lip.

Reinstallation is the hard part..