Re: [Chrysler300] Motor

Gary, Ryan, and group,
If you are going to go bigger than .060 the block should be sonic tested.
This will show how much meat there is in the bore and identify and core
shift. You would probably need custom pistons, as most manufacturers stop at
.060. The block can also be sleeved back to standard size. If a shop tells
you they don't charge for using a torque plate, they are getting the money
elsewhere by charging more. There are 17 head bolts on a big block Chrysler.
Torqueing these in increments up to specs is time consuming, and would be
throwing money away for the shop doing the job. Like Gary and my machinist
said, it's really not necessary for a street rebuild. Something else that
hasn't been mentioned is that by boring out the block, you also raise
compression.
These engines of ours are now mostly over 40 years old. You can't just
slap rings and bearings into in and be done. For a proper rebuild you need
to start from the bottom literally and make sure the block is right. The
first step is align boring the block. This makes sure all the crank bores
are in line and round. Next would be to deck it, which is cutting the tops
of the block square with the crank centerline, after which it would be
bored. The rods also need to be checked and reconditioned, the crank ground,
and the rotating assembly balanced. The heads will need hardened seats, and
most likely new valves, springs, and guides (or liners). Shops with modern
equipment use a carbide cutter that cuts all the seat angles at once, and
can hold depth measurements to less that .0005 inch. Rebuilding an engine
properly is not cheap. Expect to spend $4000 or more, if they assemble it
for you. A little less if you do some work yourself. It's also difficult to
find a good machine shop. Look for someone who does it for a living, not
someone who will do it when "things get slow". If they are reputable they
will show you around the shop and explain the different steps in rebuilding
your engine. The shop I use does everything in house except for crank
grinding. The cost of the machine is so expensive that it would have to be
running all the time to pay for itself. I'm sure there are those who have
re-ringed there engine and say it runs fine, but how long is it going to
last? A professionally rebuilt engine will actually be better than when it
was new, as the block has been "seasoned" and will stay in tolerance after
it has been machined. It will also increase the value of your car.
300ly,
Don