Oil pump removal

My service manual says I can remove the oil pump and screen from the side of the motor and NOT have to remove the pan? Is that right?

I am getting a drastically reduced oil pressure after the motor warms up and need to check the pump and screen before I consider looking at main bearings and the like. After warmed up the gauge indicator sits right on the lower limit line of the "normal operating range", where when first started up, rises to the upper mid-range portion of the gauge.

It's been doing this for some time now and I am just getting a bit concerned. I use SAE 10/40 oil and changing the oil made no difference. Any hints or suggestions?

Karl
61 300G