Re: [Chrysler300] 2 Quick G questions

Hello Richard,
The overspray inside the trunk is original. Leave it as is unless you plan
on repainting the car a different color.

On the windlass replacement. It's best to remove the dash to do this as the
original windlass is fastened to the door jamb with special "tacks" that
slip through the windlass tail into predrilled holes in the jamb. You will
find these when you remove the old windlass and can reuse them if they are
not rusted solid or completely rotted away as may be the case with the ones
at the bottom. I replaced the windlass in a 64 Newport conv once with out
removing the dash and could never get the windlass to stay glued up behind
the dash corners and it was constantly falling out. If you do remove the
dash, reinstalling it is best done with a helper or two. Make sure the new
windlass is fastened securely especially in the area that is inaccessible
behind the dash when it is in place. Place a thin piece of sheet metal or
other suitable thin and tough sheet material against the corners of the
windowpost/door jamb area and slide the dash into place and re bolt it. The
sheet metal serves to protect the new windlass from damage from the sharp
edges on the dash assembly. Hope this info from my past experience is of
some help.

Dave Schwandt