RE: [Chrysler300] VIN De-coder,1960 Chrysler 1960.1965.

RE: [Chrysler300] VIN De-coder,1960 Chrysler 1960.1965.

Hi All,

Copyrights protect the way that something is expressed. It does not protect
basic information, concepts, ideas, etc. I have never seen any of GG's
booklets, so I don't know if he uses a copyright notice. The notice
consists of three parts: the word "Copyright" or the "C" in the circle, the
name of the author, and the year in which the work was first created. For
example, "Copyright GG 1999".

As Ray points out, the coding system was created and developed by Chrysler,
not GG. It was on the window stickers, on the vehicle data or fender tag,
and it was in the ordering materials that the dealers used to order a
vehicle with the desired options. Maybe the codes were in other places as
well. I don't ever remember seeing any copyright notice of Chrysler on the
window stickers. Certainly, it doesn't appear on the vehicle data or fender
tag. Don't know about the dealer's ordering materials. Most of the codes
were used for many years, such as "D23" for a certain type of transmission
in the late 1960s, etc. However, some of the paint codes changed from year
to year as new colors were introduced and then discontinued the following
year.

I wouldn't encourage copying of GG's booklets or other materials, especially
if they contain a copyright notice. Right or wrong, it could take years of
expensive litigation to resolve. About 15 years ago, there was a lot of
litigation over whether the compilations of telephone numbers contained in
telephone books were copyrightable. I believe that the final outcome was
that the telephone books were not copyrightable because it was simply a
compilation of information available in the public domain, i.e., a lack of
authorship or creativeness. However, other information commonly put into
the telephone books, such as the cover artwork, the advertisements in the
yellow pages, etc., probably is protectible through copyright law. Bottom
line: if you are going to copy, be careful what it is that you are copying.
However, anyone can create their own compilation of the Chrysler codes, just
as GG did, but don't copy or start with GG's materials if they bear any
copyright notice. At this time, I doubt that Chrysler cares about the
information, and they probably never copyrighted it anyway. If they still
have any enforceable rights in the coding information, I would expect that
they would have told GG to stop a long time ago! Best regards, Jim