Re: [Chrysler300] Q. re using Vane tuner re 300s?

Re: [Chrysler300] Q. re using Vane tuner re 300s?

I have a query re people's experiences of using 60s-70s Vane Tune Machines
to try and get their 300s set up right, in best tune.

A friend who had a garage has a Vane 3090 Tune Machine - oscilliscope, and
about another 8 guages set into a large metal cabinet atop sortod storage
cabinet on wheels - it ibncludes exhuast analyzler etc.

The smart money today is spent on high quality, capable hand held
instruments. The day of the large console with multiple instruments is dead.
This OPINION is based on the large number of unsold big, new console units
in warehouses as I understand the situation. Most shops, the large console
just collects dust and gets in the way. The older equipment does have
historic, antique value.

Exhaust gas analysis is a very useful tool but limited in usefulness based
on what other equipment is available like a dynamometer. Any old equipment
also has the problems of repair parts availability and lack of calibration
checking. Non dispersive infrared analyzers replaced the old wheatstone
bridge air fuel ratio thermal conductivity analyzers many years ago. If the
age you mention is correct, the unit probably has an AFR unit and is not an
exhaust gas analyzer exactly that is looking at two to five gasses. If it is
an NDIR unit then what bench is in it is important and if not say a Sun or
Andros, would say would not be worth the investment.

I have found that my old Clayton AFR unit is very handy for setting idle
mixtures lets say and checking pre catalyst carburetors without air
injection and also for dyno work but there is so much more available with
four gas analysis that that is what we use. So, in my opinion, if you have
an AFR machine that does work, please use it as it is the only way to
properly tune carburetors.  Balance your carburetors out at 13.5 AFR and you
will be pleased. Seat of the pants does work but proper equipment to include
a good diagnostic dynamometer puts you 'there' in way less time.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used