Re: [FWDLK] More questions about 61 new yorker (Tires)

Re: [FWDLK] More questions about 61 new yorker (Tires)

Rod,

You'll get strongly-held opinions on either side of the bias-ply vs. radial
tire debate.  In fact, for some interesting reading on the subject, go to:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Wheels/radials.htm
Chris Hawkins (1960 NYer wagon) especially has some good comments to
consider.

I would urge you to consider bias plies.  Not only will they look 100%
correct, with proper ride height, but will handle fine, and actually give a
softer ride (at moderate speeds) than radials.  I bought Firestone "Deluxe
Champions" from Coker for my 1956 Imperial, and will definitely buy another
set of bias plies for my 1960 New Yorker (probably B.F. Goodrich 850-14s).
The car rides very nicely on the highway at 80 mph--I suppose if you're
interested in driving 100+ you might consider radials--and feels plenty
stable.  And best of all, they look like a million (or should I say Hundred
Million?) bucks!

Radials will mask front end problems that should otherwise be addressed,
IMO.  Remember, EVERYONE rode on bias plies when these cars were new.
Corvettes, 300's, etc. were all speeding along on bias ply tires.  If
anything, I suspect that the repro. tires you get now, though produced from
the original molds, are made of compounds superior to the original.

Best Regards,

Mike Trettin
1956 Imperial Sedan
1960 New Yorker 4-dr. hdtp.