Re: [FWDLK] Torque converters and flex plates

Re: [FWDLK] Torque converters and flex plates

Hi Garrett,

The 1962 and later Mopars with the aluminum 727 tranny use a flex plate that
is bolted to the crankshaft with four outer arms that bolt to the torque
converter.  The arms are not evenly spaced.  Thus, when you go to reinstall
the tranny including the converter to the engine and flex plate, it will
only reattach in one of the four possible positions!  It is no fun trying
all the alternative positions before you find the correct one.  I strongly
suggest marking one of the positions of the flex plate to converter before
pulling apart, as by scribing or using a dab of paint on one of the
positions so that you can reassemble it right on the first try.

Pull the starter.  That will give you access to the ring gear so that you
can use a large screwdriver or pry tool to manually move the converter and
flex plate to the next bolt position.  You can also prevent the engine from
turning over while you break each bolt loose by holding the pry tool
simultaneously in the ring gear and against one side of the hole for the
starter.  As you separate the engine and tranny be careful as the torque
converter can easily slide out of the tranny if the tranny is tipped in the
wrong direction.  The converter is not light and the ring gear teeth around
it tend to have sharp edges.

Mopars earlier than 1962 with the cast iron torqueflight tranny have the
torque converter bolted directly to the end of the crankshaft without any
flex plate.  I don't think that you can reach the attaching bolts without
first simply pulling the engine and tranny apart.  Best regards, Jim