Re: [FWDLK] Purist Question to ponder!!

--- brian <xm2cars@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In light of the current discussion thread about the
> '61 DeSoto convertible's heritage, here is something
> to think about.
>
> What would you folks think about a car that may be
> immaculate in every way and perhaps even so
> authentic looking it would be hard to decipher as
> different from factory built - yet that particular
> model never existed!
>
> A car such as a: '55 Fury, '99 LHS convertible, '56
> T&C woody, or others etc.

Cool thoughts! I guess you saw some of my fantasies in
my earlier post.

> Would this be a problem car to anyone? (a negative
> reaction)

I guess for me it'd depend on what one started with.
There's a guy locally who did a radical custom of a
'56 Continental Mark II, easily my favorite Ford
product of all time. I'm still somewhat torn over that
since that was such a rare car in stock form. And I'd
personally also prefer to see rough cars used as
starting points rather than clean originals. But these
are exceptions. As long as the replica is scrupulously
described as a replica, I'm OK with it, and even enjoy
cars that "shoulda been". Of course, if it's
represented as a factory one-off when it in fact is
not, I have problems with that.

> Should this car be eligible to enter in a show as an
> "ABC model of a DEF" make and judged with the other
> models of that make as long as it was described as
> non-authentic?

I can see where this could be dicey. Not sure "stock"
class is appropriate but "custom" doesn't precisely
describe what's been done either. If this were to
become widespread I guess a new class along the lines
of "phantom replica" might be appropriate.

> Would you accept it as an automotive creation that
> should be judged on its own merits?

I would indeed.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA