[FWDLK] Power Brakes

In the next month, I'll be installing power brakes in my 56 Plymouth. I
bought a used setup. The vacuum can had a rust hole in it and the seam
didn't look to healty, so we welded up where the seam and the hole.
How do I test this thing. I was thinking about trying to seal the tubes for
the hoses and submerge it in water.
Maybe I should do some kind of vacuum test ?
How ?
How much vacuum should it hold ?
I also thought about sealing the inside of it like you would a gas tank.
If this thing seems to hold vacuum and I install it and it fails, what
happens, does the brake pedal just get hard to push ?
Does anyone make them new ?

Any insight or suggestions on the vac can or the installation would be
helpful

Thanks
Nick