Re: [FWDLK] Pricing some parts.

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Joe Mopar wrote:
>      for the engine.  I was wondering how expensive the dual 4 ram intakes
>      are?  Is there any inter - changeable - ity between the dual quads
>      setup (413 & 383)?  I imagine that with a strong 383 (over 300 hp
>      hopefully) a positraction is needed for the rear end.  Any thoughts?

RB engines (413/426/440) have a higher deck and are therefore wider at the
top.  Intake manifolds will not interchange.  Now, I've never worked with
a two-piece cross-ram so they *may* be the exception to the rule.  I
really doubt it, though, because they need to clear the valve covers on
the opposite side and each other in the middle.  They may work with proper
mounting brackets and linkages.  Cross-rams are not cheap.  If you're
looking for something exotic, Mopar Performance makes a slick six-pack
setup for the B-block.  Fuel injection would be a cool choice.  Didn't
Chrysler inject some of the 392s and possibly 350s?  Older Hilborne units
are still around.  In fact, I believe On-Track Performance in Englewood
has one.

300hp from a 383 is no problem at all, even with a single 4-bbl.  Get it
to a good machine shop, bump the compression a little and cam it up to
your liking.  When you're ready, we'll put the feelers out for a set of
906 heads and some decent headers or manifolds.  I'd say 350hp is very
realistic without breaking the bank.

Positraction is the GM name for Chrysler's Sure-Grip ;-)  Depending on
your ratio and how hard you'd like get it out of the hole, SG can make a
big difference.  If you plan on running it at Bandemere on Friday nights,
I'd recommend it.  Rick Clapham is the man to talk to.  He can also help
you with any tranny questions like steel vs. aluminum, etc.  He built the
727 in my 'vert and is building one for my 'Bee now.  He does very good work.

Consider stopping by the Rocky Mountain Performance Mopar Club on August
4th if you need to find performance or restoration parts.  There are
about 200 members with everything from 1914 Dodges to Vipers.  It'll be
at Regis University, 50th and Lowell around 7:00.

Personally, I'd pay money to see a '59 Plymouth humiliate a few jellybean
cars at the track.  It's perfectly capable of doing so.  Good luck with it!

David Bell
smike@xxxxxxxxx