Re: [FWDLK] 61 Newport - Originality Questions

Re: [FWDLK] 61 Newport - Originality Questions

>> Air cleaner is gloss black. A good quality gloss black spray can should be
>
>My car has the aircleaner painted gold. I believe this is original as it
>has never had ANY other modifications, I believe this is the correct
>color. On the other hand I have never seen another 61 newport to compair
>it to.

My '61 Newport wagon and parts wagon have black air cleaners as well as a
friend's convertible. As far as I know, the gold air cleaner was used on
the 413 engine (NY'er & Imperial) from '59 through '61.

It's entirely possible that a gold air cleaner might have been hastily put
on a 361 or 383 motor at the factory or dealership. Heck, even if a
mechanic accidently swapped aircleaners in the early 60's no one would
probably have cared.

But, every V-8 I've seen in a '59-61 Mopar has had a black air cleaner
except for the 2x4bbl, high performance and 413 motors.