[FWDLK] 12 v one mo time

Have consolidated my clippings on the subject, heres what they say, culled
from Cars and Parts and OCW over several years-

OCW Oct 13, 1994
Change to neg ground and 12 v system from Pos and 6v---
no need to do any starter work- it will turn correctly
reverse the battery cables of course
If your conversion is originally 12v and U are just changing polarity and
keeping
  orig generator, replace reg with neg ground regulator and repolarize
generator.
Reverse leads on back of ammeter (see note later)
Change all bulbs including headlights
Change turn signal flasher

OCW Aug 21, 97
Stresses polarity importance of secondary spark with 6v systems. Not a problem
in modern electronic 12v systems.

OCW date unknown
No need to change size of wiring since amperage is lower with 12v pushing it
thru the wiring.

Cars and Parts Toolbag Feb 89
1.  Reverse batt cables.  Since power requiremetns lower for 12v. the heavy
cables
     are OK.
2.  Reverse connection at ammeter(see later note)
3.  Reverse coil polarity (99% are neg ground).
4.  Buy 12v neg ground volt regulator if using a generator.
5.  If changing to an alternator there may be a problem with runningon
     (engine running when key is turned off) due to old style ignition switch.
This
     problem is often covered elsewhere in rod magazines....  The fix is to go
to an
     isolating type newer ignition switch which disconnects the alternator
when
     key is turned off.
6.  Wire ammeter running hot wire from batt to solenoid, cut wire and splice
the
     ammeter in it.
7.  Use 12 v coil, either with an internal resistor or one with non internal
where you
    hve to use an external ceramic resistor (Mopar style system).  Do not
     intermix coil types
8.  Dist polarity-  Distributor is always grounded (points are insulated).  If
you have
     a neg ground system then neg side of coil goes to ground, which is the
Dist.
     (opposite with a + ground system).

Additional info from myself----
  Use 12 volt bulbs of course.
  12v turn signal
  12v neg ground radio so you can now upgrade to FM...
   A number of people remark that current (amps) is NOT polarity sensitive,
      that is, ammeter will read OK no matter which way U hook it up.
      My past experience with electricity says the same BUT I have not
experimented.
  Note there is a way to verify coil polarity and it is covered in old old
auto manuals
     such as the Audels manual (circa 1926).

I have had a 6v pos ground alternator on my 38 Ply pickup.  Worked fine.
Remember with alternator U must use smaller dia pulley so it turns faster, do
NOT use a large diamater original pulley.

When having trouble with electrics on my 51 Merc (with 6v and generator)  I
discovered bad grounds and connections(loose, oil/grease penetrated,
corrosion) were THE factor.  Once all 3 were corrected I never had any
problems in warmer months.  Since finned moparz are 12v some of all this is
not relevant.....

Lars

FYI I bought a one wire alt to put on my wagon at swap 5 yrs ago but the old
gen is still putting out so the alt is still here. Paid about $50 for it, with
a local swap meet type electrical rebuilder.  Finally had it tested when I
tried to sell it, yep puts out almost 80 amps.  No charge for the test at
local shop.