[FWDLK] Radial vs Bias Plys-1

Part of a post I send to someone regarrding radials on his 40 yr old car-

<<FYI put recap radials on a 55 Chrysler in 1970 2 tires at a time and
discovered by experience why U dont put em on the front only.  Thought I was
gonna lose it in our local Eway "S" curve, the front swayed so much.  Next day
moved em to back and tail wagged but no control loss.  Added the other 2 and
lo, it was super.   Remember, this is what those tire manufacturers said
anyway...>>

Nothing in all the >>>> discussions mention rim width. Most the 57 to newer
cars, esp Chryslers, have 6" rims.  Most likely adequate for radials subject
to the size used.  Remember radials function differently than bias ply
regarding what the sidewall does.  Too narrow a rim width and the radial can
become 'mushy' in turns. If U draw a to scale sketch of the tire on the wheel
U will see the sidewalls curve IN (meaning loss of stiffness) as they reach
toward the wheel rim, say for a 5" vs 6 or 6.5" rim.
Us mopar guys are lucken enough to have safety rim wheels.  Many earlier cars
did not, Mopar a pioneer in this, starting in I think 1940.

I recall my brotherinlaw in the late 60's put Michelins on his 64 Chevvy.  He
RAVED about em, tho the cost was high.  Like driving on velvet he said.  Sort
of what many of U are saying.  And at speeds over 40 and on decent roads I
agree.  However in town and on poorer roads I get a lot of impact shock.  Bias
plys are more comfortable at those lower speeds.  I said comfortable, nothing
regarding control which is a different matter.

Squealing on turns with bias plys? yep.  Partly due to tire construction, part
due to tread design (many OLDER authentic tires have NO SIPES- which serve to
squeege water away and lower noise).  Likewise lack of grip in a panic stop or
a curve if taken at too high a speed.

After having my new 41 Ply 2 dr, I am seriously considering removing the
Firestone 480's and replacing with bias plys.
Mostly for ride comfort in town.  On the freeway bump thump not a problem.  On
secondary roads the groove comes into play and you must STEER the car not let
it drive itself....  BUT if I do this it will be not with original tread tires
but with those having sipes.  U gotta look close at the tire catalogs or ask.

My experience with radials was positive with the 55 chrysler, believe it to be
so with most of the big mopars. If you have a 3400 pound or less car, IMHO it
depends on where and how far and fast U drive.

Lars

Finally, on my 51 Merc 2dr, it came with BIG radials, L78's I guess. After 2
months put bias plys on and thought I had gotten power steering!!!!!  Those
big L's had just too much grip. Ride in town improved too.  Drove the merc
some 250 or so miles and return with the bias plys, no problem at 60 mph or
so.