Re: [FWDLK] Gas and Tires

Gas additives are necessary to prevent depositing valve metal on the
valve seats through the "micro weld" process caused by unleaded gas.
The lead additive in leaded gas coated the valve and seat with a lead
oxide that prevented microwelding and the resulting premature valve
failure.

The additives on the market vary from useless and a waste of money to
additives that effectively prevent premature valve failure.  Red Dot
additive is a good one, but there are others.

Microwelding is reduced if the seats are bored out and hardened seats
installed.  This costs big bucks, but may be worth it if rebuilding the
engine anyway.