Car Stories

Here's a story I thought I would share with members of the Forward Look in
hopes that others will write something about their cars -- why they bought
it, what they like best about it, least about it, etc.

 The Pamunkey G
It was a snowy, windy day in March of 1998 when the black G (VIN 8413168578)
arrived. It had been in storage in Canada for the past nine years before the
car found a new home here at Golden Lion Grrrages.
The snow, slush and salt from the trip down from Canada had changed the
color of the black G to white. A thorough wash and vacuum was in order. In
the process, I found a folder with an interesting history of what we now
call the "Pamunkey G."
On March 15, 1961, Robert Ellwanger of West Point, Virginia purchased the
car from Pamunkey Motor Sales located at Fourteenth Street in West Point.
The original bill of sale reads:
1961 Chrysler 300
Car                   $5,411.00
Freight                   100.00
Anti-freeze                 5.90
Seat Belts                32.00  (this item crossed out)
Sure Grip Dif.            51.70
A/C & Heater          510.40
Radio                         99.80
Remote RVM            18.00
Tinted Glass              43.10
                               $6,239.90

The next piece of literature in the folder is the purchase on April 24th,
1961 of a 'Radar Sentry' for $39.95 from Radatron, Inc., North Tonawanda NY.
The 'Radar Sentry' was one of the first radar detectors available for cars.
I draw the conclusion that during the first 6 weeks of ownership, Mr.
Ellwanger had a problem with excessive speed. A common problem among 300
owners, as I hear it.

The folder also has a  letter from O. S. Hunt at Chrysler Customer Relations
to Bob Ellwanger dated November 19, 1973. Bob had asked about using radial
tires on the G. Mr. Hunt replies: "On 1961 models, the use of radial tires
is not recommended. Those vehicles were designed for conventional cross-bias
or bias-belted tires. Perhaps, however, improvements have occurred in the
tire industry that would allow the use of radial tires on your vehicle. Tire
company representatives and dealers are more qualified to acquaint you with
their products." Bob Ellwanger also asked about parts and Chrysler said:
"Please be advised that our parts supply for the 1961 model year has been
depleted. We maintain our stock of new parts for ten years. Since that
period has elapsed, we cannot recommend a definite source for the parts you
might need."
I think Chrysler's opinion about radial tires is interesting, but it is even
more interesting to see that way back in 1973, G owners were having trouble
finding parts.

A review of other service records in the folder shows that Quinn Chrysler
Plymouth Dodge took over the business from Pamunkey Motor Sales sometime
between 1986 and 1987. By that time, the G had accumulated over 175,ooo
miles and except for 'hard to start' problems, the car continued to serve
the original owners in good fashion. I expect it was a hard decision for the
Ellwangers to sell the car.

I dug out my computer disk of street maps and began checking addresses and
names. I found the Chrysler dealership located in West Point. I found the
Ellwangers house a few miles away. A few miles further away, I found the
Pamunkey Indian Reservation. I assume that is where the dealership name came
from. Whatever the connection, the car is now 'the Pamunkey G'.

As of this date, the G is comfortably garaged waiting for winter to end.
Although she starts and runs like a tiger, some brake work will be done
before she takes to the road again. Perhaps a trip back to West Point is in
order. I bet the Pamunkey G knows the way.