[FWDLK] 1950's Dodge V8 Engine

Josh, the "all new" '55 Plymouth engines came in 240 & 259.X Cube versions
 (latter also referred to as a
260).  They were the new Poly conversions from Dodge's 240 Block of previous
 years.  In 1956, the 259
was stretched to 270 for use mainly in the Plaza/Savoy lines, while Plymouth
 also introduced in '56 the 277
cu in, the true forerunner of the "A" engines that went to 301, 303('56 Fury &
 Canadian applications), and
318.  They can be differentiated (270 vs 277) by a look at their valve covers,
 the 270 had a scallopped
bottom edge to the Valve covers, 277 fairly straight.  In '56 270 only offered
 in 2 barrel form, while 277
optioned in both 2 & 4 bbls, and also the 2 X 4 option available from dealer for
 277 (as an aside to the '56
Fury options).  Hope this helps.

Jack Lewis
Golden Fin Society - '56 Fury