Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge Ignition Resistor Question

Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge Ignition Resistor Question

James,

The Ignition Ballast Resistor is usually located near or piggybacked on the
Ignition Coil. I suspect that you are referring to the Radio Condenser on
the Voltage Regulator. There are usually others at the Generator and
Ignition Coil. It?s function is to absorb voltage spikes and electrical
noise (that causes static in the radio) from the Generator, Regulator, and
Spark Plug Wires. It is basically a capacitor that is grounded with it?s
mounting bracket. The only way it can fail is to go open or shorted. If the
wire is sound, it is probably not open. You can test it for shorts with an
ohmmeter. I am not sure if anyone sells replacements.

If you need an Ignition Ballast Resistor, these are available at most good
automotive parts stores.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500