Re: [FWDLK] Out of Round Tires

At 09:58 PM 9/23/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I've read that in the "old" days, you could have out of round tires
>shaved back into spec. Some tire shops had special machines that
>would turn them. Has anyone ever seen such a machine? Are any still
>in operation so that it is worth hunting one down to cure problems
>like Todd's ? Or is this technology gone, gone, gone?

When I was a kid, the shop that my Grandad took all our vehicles to (had a
small fleet of vans for our whitewater rafting company, as well as numerous
Chryslers and Imperials) had a special balancing machine that balanced the
wheel *on the car*!  They would put on a new tire, attach a special cover
in place of the wheelcover, and then jack up the car and put this machine
under the wheel which would spin the wheel at a high rate of speed.  It's
always struck me that this was the most sensible way of balancing tires
I've ever seen.

This same shop would "cut round" tires which were out of round.  They had a
special machine for this purpose as well.  It's been years since I've been
in that shop, and I doubt that they still have this equipment, since the
place has been sold several times.  But I bet somebody, somewhere...

Elijah

  *******                 Elijah Scott                 *******
  *****       Georgia College and State University       *****
  ****         Information Organization Librarian         ****
  **                  escott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  **
  **        http://Peacock.GAC.PeachNet.EDU/~elijah         **
  **   http://Peacock.GAC.PeachNet.EDU/~elijah/imperial/    **
  **    "I May Not Be Much, But I'm All I Think About."     **