Re: [FWDLK] 1999 Dodge/Fargo/DeSoto Truck Line (Turkey)

The DeSoto name was used on trucks for a long while.  My 78 Little Red Express has it included on the manufacturers plate on the door along with Fargo.

----------
From:   Mike Sealey[SMTP:mopar2ya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Wednesday, September 23, 1998 10:47 PM
To:     tehoema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [FWDLK] 1999 Dodge/Fargo/DeSoto Truck Line (Turkey)

I can't remember who was asking about Turkish DeSoto trucks, but I did find a
 website for the manufacturer:

www.mam.gov.tr/index/chrys/index1.html

The company is now known as Chrysler Kamyon Ymalat.  The parent Chrysler
 Corporation sold its shares to local interests in 1979.  They appear to only
 manufacture trucks, and it appears to be the same truck under three different
 names.

Interestingly enough, the plant didn't open until '64, so Chrysler opened it
 with a brand name not used in its home market for the previous three years...

"The Plymouth and DeSoto Story" by Don Butler has pictures of the 1972 DeSoto
 truck line.  Unfortunately, they look more like pre-Wagoneer Jeep wagons and
 pickups than their American cousins.  The only familiar visual points I could
 find in the picture were what looked like '57 Plymouth dog-dish hubcaps on the
 D100 and "Power Wagon" emblems on the W200 (note use of domestic Dodge model
 names).  The '72s had Slant Sixes and I believe 318s as powerplants, but who
 knows whether that is still true today.

It's also kind of a laugh to see pictures of a DeSoto truck with a pentastar
 over the DeSoto name, since Chrysler was still using the Forward Look logo when
 American DeSoto production ended...

Mike Sealey
Tell 'em Groucho Sent Ya!

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com