Re: IML: retrofitting Auto-Pilot into a '66 Imperial

Re: IML: retrofitting Auto-Pilot into a '66 Imperial

The Auto Pilot in '66 was much the same as the years previous, with, of course, the exception of the design and style of the control panel/knob. There is a nylon gear built into the control knob on '65 and '66 (maybe '64) that is absent in the earlier styles and that frequently disintegrates and must be replaced. Wiring in cars those days wasn't as "integrated" as it has been for the last 2 decades, so the harness for the Auto Pilot is quite self contained. You can probably get all the wiring necessary right along with the assembly from the donar car.

The differences that you will find under the hood would be primarily due to changes over the years in the throttle linkage. I don't know about '64, but '65 and '66 Imperials had a throttle cable rather than the previously used rods. Earlier Auto Pilot units connected to the "throttle rods" down in front of the firewall. The later ones would have to be connected differently. Still, I would think (but not positive)that adaptations could be made to fit the older units.

Standing the units side by side there is a major difference in the outer springing, but I don't think that this difference precludes interchangability. Mounting the unit under the hood should not present any issues as long as all of the brackets are saved from the donar car.

I bought the complete assembly out of a '66 to install in my '65. Although I never did the job, I studied it closely at the time and believed that it would all go together. I solved the problem with the nylon gear by making a replacement out of brass. I was enrolled in a night class in a machine shop at the time so that job was a snap.

In the 1980's a friend and I bought all the parts and installed an Auto Pilot in his '60 Crown. As I recall some of the stuff I needed came from later cars, but it was all pretty straight forward.

The same company made Speed Control units for other cars in the late '50s and through the '60s as well. Some of the components from they may be interchangable.

Paul