Re: IML: '62 discs

>From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: Discs onto a 1962?  -let sleeping dogs lie
>
>>Duckie26626@xxxxxxx wrote:P.S. Any try to Adapt Disk Brakes to the front
of a 62?????

 >Why re-engineer one of the best engineered cars on the planet for its
time?  I ask that sincerely and not as a sharp rebuttal.

>If you have insufficient brakes now, they need to be either replaced or
re-adjusted.  They were awfully
>good from the factory, for what they were.

    I've had a '62 and a '63, and drove the '62 back from Texas to R.I., and
then coast to coast. You're right, the brakes do a good job - they were the
best stopping brakes in any car I had until my '77 LD Police Interceptor
(though I think my current '69 Crown's brakes are better than the '62 / 3,
too).
    I can think of a few reasons to switch to discs: Discs dry off faster
after driving through water, so your braking power comes back a lot sooner.
I found that my '62 went through brake shows at a ferocious pace; I had to
replace them every 10 - 15,000 miles - I expect that the pads on the disc
system would go longer than that. Replacement of pads is a lot easier than
replacement of shoes, and a _lot_ of mechanics these days aren't very
familiar with old drum systems like on an old Imperial.
   Switching to discs would likely be arduous, time - consuming, and
expensive. I also find that discs tend to make your tires filthy very
quickly. OTOH, people modify old cars in this way and other similar ways all
the time, with good sucess - just because the car was well engineered
originally doesn't mean that modifying it will neccesarily make it worse.
    -Kle
    '69 Crown 4DHT