IML: Exhuast replacement/dual exhaust life

Quoting Elijah Scott <imperial1971@xxxxxxxxx>:

> --- "Chris \"Creesto\" Lynch"
> <creesto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Elijah, what is 'aluminized'? Is that just a
> > galvanic finish? Do stainless
> > exhaust systems make sense if I intend to own the
> > car 'forever'?
>
> I believe the aluminized pipes are mild steel with a
> silver aluminized coating.  It lasts longer than
> "plain" exhaust, but doesn't last as long as
> stainless.
>
> I've had an aluminized dual exhaust on my '71 Imperial
> for seven years now, and it looks practically brand
> new.  But then again, I don't drive the car a lot, AND
> we virtually never have any salt on the roads down
> here in the South.  I do plan to own this car forever

Elijah is right.  The dual exhaust tendsto rust a bit faster, but mainly if you
live in cold climates and/or drive the car short trips.  I am sure few people
are that mean on their Imperials.  But the main reason why they shifted to
sinfle exhaust in 62 or so, is life and possibly cost.  If you replace the
exhaust system, it may be best to put your money on a dual exhaust rather than
aluminized/stainless.

D^2