RE: IML: 67 caliper & Rotor

Actually, I have had 5 cars with this braking system, and I've had zero
trouble with any of the disk brake parts. I have had to replace both the
power booster and the master cylinders on them all, sooner or later, but the
calipers, pads and rotors have all been fine and have given me no trouble at
all. On my convertible, I had to replace the rear linings and wheel
cylinders, but the other 4 cars were trouble free in the rear also.  The
highest mileage of these cars is the 130,000 on my 68 Gold Crown 4 DR - the
pads were new when I bought the car in 1985, and the calipers might have
been rebuilt before that, I don't know, but I've put almost 50,000 on the
car and the brakes are still just perfect.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe the hype about problems with the system is
overblown - I can't say for sure.  You should ask the rest of the list about
this - I think actual experience of the various members will give you some
perspective about the likelihood of troubles.

I've taken the liberty of posting our exchange to the rest of the list (but
I've deleted your name); let's see what others have to say about this.

The problem with these brakes is that new rotors are just about
unobtainable, and that Chrysler recommended they be replaced rather than
machined - so following that set of facts leaves folks pretty well out in
the cold if the disks are scored, as the ones on the eBay car are.
Personally, in a situation like this, if the scoring is not too bad, I'd
just leave the rotors alone - as long as the performance of the brakes is
OK, and the thickness of the rotor is not below spec, the only consequence
will be shortened pad life - so instead of driving 60,000 miles before you
need pads again, you might only get 30,000 miles if you don't turn the
rotors - but how many years will that be?   There is no safety consideration
here, just a convenience factor.

Dick.