IML: $635 tail lamps and the ordinary Joe

IML: $635 tail lamps and the ordinary Joe

Original post follows:

The laws of supply and demand run the marketplace.  I saw this auction.  The lens in question were fabulous and came with the original seals and chrome surrounds.  There were three lenses in the picture, so this guy paid around $200 each for them and they were worth every dime.  I wish I could have afforded them.  Even as spares they would be worth it, if I had it.  But I don't, right now.  I hope my luck will change.

I don't think owning an Imperial is an "Ordinary Joe" proposition.  Nor do I think it should be.  Get yourself a Mustang, or a 57 Chevy if you want to run with the herd.  You'll also have the benefit of having suppliers printing glossy brochures for items you didn't even know you could want along with everything else for your car.

Imperials were designed to serve the elite in society.  They were top end cars with limited appeal if only because of their exorbitant price in comparison to the Chrysler, the Dodge, the De Soto and the Plymouth.  It stands to reason that their limited numbers lead to a limited amount of parts for them today, as mentioned in a thread started by Kenyon this week.

Running these old cars is not a game for the faint of heart or the man of limited means.  I would know because I have one and it is currently beyond me to be able to afford gas for it.  I hope my situation is temporary but I know that owning an Imperial will always be at the more expensive end of the old car owning spectrum.  You cannot have a champagne car on a beer budget.

Hugh

Ernie wrote:
Are these people completely nuts or just made of money.  Us poor folks trying to do a nice job don?t have a hope in H when things get nuts like this. Are these people members of the ?List?, if so maybe they would like to help support the hobby instead of making it unaffordable for the average Joe. I guess I was lucky with my visor vanity mirror for $50, could have gone for 2 or 3 hundred with these guys around.