Re: IML: Should I Try to Crank This Engine?

Re: IML: Should I Try to Crank This Engine?

You can start it, and if you prepare it right, it probably won't hurt anything.

Take the plugs out and squirt some oil in the cylinders. Change the oil and filter. Get a good battery and crank it for a while without any spark. That will help the oil flow before it actually runs on its own. If the carb looks functional, and you are able to get spark, give it a try. Make sure that throttle return is working correctly so that it doesn't race when it first starts. Keep and eye out for oil leaks and see if it holds water.

The worst thing that you will have to do it shut it off again if it does start and you don't like the way it sounds. I have started several engines that have sat for long periods. Recently I got one running that had been sitting since 1960. It was tough to get it going, but now it runs like a champ and even rather well.

You will get lots more pointers from the group, so read on and have fun!

Paul