Re: IML: Vinyl half-top (1993)

John:

I had a '70 300 with stains on the vinyl top that I could not get rid of.  I
tried various remedies, wasted money, polluted the driveway and wasted a lot
of elbow grease.  Finally, I happened into a body repair supply shop and
bought a product called something like "H-45."  This was over ten years ago
and the bottle lived in my shed for a long time, but unfortunately got
"removed" by a flood in '01.  As a result, I can't give the exact name for
sure but I believe "H-45" is close.  Anyway, the product was designed to
clean a vinyl top in preparation for re-dying or painting.  Following the
advice of the crusty old fellow who sold me the stuff, and I diluded it just
a little and rubbed it on the top... with my hands!  I had tried soft
brushes, chamois, cotten, etc., to no avail.  Somehow, hard rubbing with my
hands did the trick, because the top finally came clean.  I then used a
vinyl re-finishing dye and the top transformed into it's original gleaming
white.  It was really remarkable how much better the whole car looked, this
after about two hours of work.  I was then able to maintain the top and keep
the mildew and other stains from recurring.

Whether I did permanent damage to my body chemical make-up by exposing my
skin to that stuff, I'll never know.  I can still count to ten and walk
while chewing gum, which is good enough. Good luck!

Patrick Moore
Southeast Louisiana
'58 Southampton, destined for "Hungarian Settlement" next month for an
engine/brake rebuild or rejuvination, whichever is necessary.