Re: IML: Front End Suspension 1963 Le Baron

Re: IML: Front End Suspension 1963 Le Baron

If you are going to replace anything, replace
everything at the same time.  Ultimately, this is the
cheapest way to go since you only pay disassembly
labor and alignment costs once.  Replacing bushings
without replacing worn ball joints would not give much
increase in handling or ride quality.  This is because
one worn component in the midst of other new
replacements can still cause slack and sloppiness in
the entire steering mechanism, and result in less than
optimal ride quality.

It is safe to assume the 40 year old rubber in all
these components is bad or soon will be. So, to
restore the impressive ride and handling your car had
when new, you would need to do the following:

Install new:

Upper ball joints
lower ball joints
upper suspension arm bushings
lower suspension arm bushings
strut rod bushings
sway bar bushings
tie rod ends
idler arm (or idler arm bushing)
KYB shock absorbers, front & rear

(Also, depending on your mileage, your steering box
may need adjustment or possibly a rebuild.)

When installed, proper height adjustment of torsion
bars, a good alignment, and 235 x 15 radials at 30lbs
of pressure will give impressive gains in the quality
of ride & handling, plus elimination of harshness and
vibration felt through the steering wheel.

Happy motoring,

Chris H.

66 Lebaron (which has had all the above)