IML: 1956 Upper Radiator Hose

I've had a problem finding a modern stock looking hose for our '56 C-73. It had a universal :0(
ribbed style when we purchased the car several months ago.

We bought hoses from Andy Bernbaum, but no matter how they were cut down to fit, we still had interference between the top of the hose and fan belts (bought two, tried it twice, failed both times). We have the double pulley arrangement where the belts cross over directly from generator to air cond. compressor. Ours is a fairly early serial number (C56-1881) with Powerflight and the rectangular style fan shroud. I've seen pictures of later '56's with belts running from the compressor directly to the water pump. Of course Bernbaum's hose will work fine in that set up.

Anyway...I finally found a Gates hose marketed by Carquest as #21956. I have no idea of its true application. By judiciously cutting excess stock from both ends I was able to install it so that there is 5/8" to 3/4" clearance between the top side of the hose and bottom of the belts. The reason you need that much clearance is because the hose changes shape somewhat when the cooling system is up to temperature and pressure. That, along with the natural vibration of the belt toward and away from the hose at different RPM means that you need more clearance than it might first appear.

This is an issue of limited interest to a few early '56 serial #'s, I know. On the other hand, I know most of us want to maintain our cars in as original appearance as possible. Hope it helps someone.

Gary Kitterman
'56 C-73 "Babe"