'59 back to square one

Find a new mechanic and distrust anything this guy tells you.  He's a
bloodsucking sh--!

You can buy ALL the parts and machine work, bore, turn crank, valves,
etc for $1500 plus labor all day long.  40 hours of lavor is a gracious
plenty.  At 40 bucks an hour shop rate (which is higher than most rates)
which should cover R&R, you're looking at 3 grand.  The guy is trying to
rip you off.  Get out while you can.

Kerryp

Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Just got the pleasant news today from the mechanic I brought my
> Imperial to for the engine rebuild, that his cost alone on the rebuild
> was going to be around $4,000.00, and that I would end up paying
> around $6,000.00. I told him for six thousand I could go buy another
> '59 and swap engines, and that I would be there to pick up the car
> tomorrow. He was telling me he was going to put in brand new pistons,
> a new crank shaft, new valves with stainless steel seals for non
> leaded gas, and all kinds of crap, but the truth is when I got the car
> back how would I know if all of this stuff was in there? Fortunately
> the car is in an area where there are literally hundreds of mechanics,
> so I'm sure I will find someone to do it at a reasonable price. If the
> going price for a new V-8 rebuild is around $2,500.00, why are they
> trying to soak me on my old '59, which is much easier to work on? I
> certainly don't look rich when I go there, on the contrary with my
> casual shorts and old tattered t shirt, I look just slightly better
> than some bum off the street. I guess I shouldn't be bringing it to
> shops which specialize in antique automobiles. I will keep you posted
> on the outcome of my quest to get my '59 back on the streets again.
> For an engine which is so straight forward and easy to get at that
> even I have done minor repairs on it, you would think a mechanic would
> jump at the chance to work on it, and not charge an arm and a leg. The
> engine on my Nissan is so crammed into the engine compartment that I
> don't think I have ever seen a spark plug in there. Oh well, life goes on!
>
> Bill '59 Crown

begin:vcard
fn:Kerry Pinkerton
n:;Kerry Pinkerton
email;internet:http://Dte.net/57imperial     50 Crown, 57, 61(s), 68 convert
other lesser makes
tel;work:Manufacture of high quality Wheeling Machines
tel;home:http://wheelingmachines.com
version:2.1
end:vcard