Fuel pump issues

I've changed quite a few fuel pumps on various mopars but the last two
have taught me something.  I could NOT get my 300 to pick up fuel.  I
had the pump off a half dozen times before I decided it just wasn't
getting any stroke from the pushrod.  Removing the allen plug, I dropped
the pushrod and looked it over.  It's made to have a small turned area
on each end and I noticed the turned end looked shorter on one end than
the other.  Since I have a couple 413's in the corner, I pulled the rod
from one and to my surprise it was about 1/4 inch longer and showed no
signs of the wear that the one that came out of the 383 did.  When I put
the 'new' pushrod in the 383, she fired right up and starts instantly.

This past weekend, Jay King called me broken down in Huntsville.  Car
just died and we suspected the fuel pump.  New pumps were relatively
easy to get and although we didn't have all the correct tools, I had it
swapped out in an hour or so.  Cranked it over and no gas...  Hummm

Out came the allen plug and the pushrod and sure enough it was about
1/4" short on one end.  Of course the pushrod is not a stock item but it
came it yesterday and as soon as I installed it the car fired right up.

I'm assuming this is a wear item that is supposed to wear before the cam
lobe does.

The moral of this story is that in the future when I run into what feels
like fuel delivery issues, I'll probably suspect the pushrod before I
assume it was the fuel pump.

Btw, Advance can get them overnight for about 18 bucks.

Kerryp
http://Wheelingmachines.com
http://dte.net/57imperial
begin:vcard
fn:Kerry Pinkerton
n:;Kerry Pinkerton
email;internet:http://Dte.net/57imperial     50 Crown, 57, 61(s), 68 convert
other lesser makes
tel;work:Manufacture of high quality Wheeling Machines
tel;home:http://wheelingmachines.com
version:2.1
end:vcard