Points in '59 413's

Rex,

There is probably something wrong with the ignition on your car. A set of
points should last about 10,000 miles, maybe 15,000. I doubt that you are
putting that many miles on your car in one year. If you were, that would mean
that the points were lasting only around 2,000 miles. If you are actually only
driving your Imperial about 5,000 per year, you are getting about 1,000 miles
from your point set. That is not right.

Points will burn prematurely if the condenser is bad. I also think a bad
ignition resistor could do this.

Another cause that would have nothing to do with the car itself would be that
the points are not clean when they are installed. This type of damage could
result if the contacts were touched by fingers prior to installing them. It is
doubtful that four sets of points have all been dirty, though, so there
probably is an ignition problem.

Your spark knocking could be related, but may also be a result of the points
burning. Fuel issues can also cause spark knocking, such as a lean mixture, or
weak fuel pump.

I am sure that there will be many more ideas put forth, but one thing for sure,
'59 Imperials did not have inherent ignition problems, and your points should
last much longer.

Paul