Points in '59 413's

Although I am one of the few who does not have much
nice to say about retrofitting an electonic ignition,
at least it would cure your burned point problem. (And
hopefully not result in a new set of problems like I
experienced.)

I tossed my electronic system and got rid of all my
ignition problems when I went back to my original
distributor with a new vacuum advance installed.
Regarding your pinging problem, the '59-'66 engine
uses very advanced initial timing (10-12 degrees BTDC
depending on the year).  As a result, it only
tolerates very little vacuum advance.  Over time,
these spring loaded vacuum advance devices start to
weaken.  This causes excessive, premature advance,
which causes pinging under light load situations.  A
correct replacement vacuum advance should cure that.
(They appear on Ebay periodically.)

Some advice should you decide to buy an electronic
system:  It will be designed for later,
emission-controlled engines.  These later engines had
initial timing retarded as much as 15 degrees from the
59-66 settings, and used lots of vacuum advance to
compensate.   These electronic systems can be made to
work with earlier engines, but you have to read the
fine print and learn how to adjust the vacuum advance
to its lowest setting.  You should get good results if
you do.  (At least until the electonic brain has an
aneurism.  Tip: always carry a spare.)

Regarding your current point burning situation, do you
have the correct ballast resistor for a point-style
distributor?

Best of luck with your search for a cure.  I've been
many miles down that same road.

Chris H.

60 NY T&C
66 Lebaron