8 tracks

The two systems were completely independent.  In other words you could have
the 8 track player even if you only had the AM radio.  All stereo systems
used all 5 speakers, so if you had an AM radio with the 8 track player, you
had a 5 speaker AM radio!  The 5 speaker system required a different "fader"
control, although it looks the same it is electrically much more involved
with more wires etc.  This is even present with the AM radio too!

The word "multiplex" refers to the 38KC subcarrier in the transmitted FM
signal that is used for stereo signals - so only the stereo receiver needs
the multiplex decoder that is behind the rear seat, hooked up to the tuner
chassis with a monster cable that is routed through the right side carpet
and step plate tunnels.

An exception for convertibles - they had only 4 speakers with either system,
because there is no provision for dual rear speakers in the rear seat
grille.

This whole discussion applies only to the very late 67s and the 68s.  By
1969, they managed to cram the 38KC decoder unit into the main radio tuner
box - even more of a nightmare to service!  (been there, done that - never
again!)

Other brands, like C*d*ll*c, came out with a stereo system earlier (1963?),
and had a relay that clicked loudly when the stereo signal was fading in and
out, as it turned the decoder unit off and on.  It is odd that Mopar avoided
that irritation, since the radios were designed by the same folks at Delco.

Dick Benjamin