From: PNKMoore@xxxxxxx [mailto:PNKMoore@xxxxxxx]
Sent:
Thursday, April 15, 2004 10:59 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 1958 Imperial first crack at the engine this AM.

I got my hands dirty this morning.  I went out to the garage before work and pulled the protective cowling off of the valve cover to expose the sparkplug sockets.  I did not anticipate that the plugs would be so deep, and my socket extension wasn't long enough.  A quick trip to Wal Mart after work will take care of that.

I pulled the one spark wire in my attempt.  (One and only one.  I don't have the wires labeled yet and I don't know the configuration by heart like the pros out there, so I've got to take baby steps.)  I was dismayed to see that the bottom of the wire was wet, meaning the plug is sitting in a pool of water.  This arises, I have no doubt, from my over-exuberant use of the pressure washer last week when I cleaned the engine.  I don't have an air compressor to blow them out, so I'll have to figure the shadetree way to get the water out of there so it won't drain into the cylinder once I get the plug out.  Dernit.  Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

I also pulled the air cleaner.  There has to be a pet name for that funky air cleaner that leans to the passenger side.  Anyway, it needs to be stripped and painted, which I'll start on tonight.  Anyone know where I can get a replacement decal for the top of the air cleaner?

I saw where the valve cover (392 Hemi) on the passenger side didn't have a spark plug cowling.  I'm hoping it's not supposed to, in favor of the space needed for the bulky air cleaner.  Anyone know?  If it's supposed to be there I'm missing the part and need one.

I only had a few minutes to play mechanic, so I didn't get much done.  It was fun, nonetheless, to get my hands dirty.  I got a kick later when I stopped into the
NAPA store on my way to work with the old air cleaner, looking for a replacement.  Those guys were scratching their heads trying to figure if they had the part.  They kept asking "Are you sure it ain't a '68?"  I guess they didn't trust a guy in a suit to know.  Needless to say, they had to order it.

I have a feeling I'll be making frequent morning stops at the
NAPA store as this project progresses.

Patrick Moore
1958 4 dr
Southampton