Dads 82 AC clutch

Lawrence,

In cars built during the middle '70s and up, the A/C clutch is suppose to
cycle, not stay on all the time, unless the system is turned on to "Full". Even
then, it will only stay on continuously until the system senses a predetermined
maximum cold temperature has been reached.

If the system is continuously cycling, and very quickly (like
on-off-on-off)that means that the system is low on Freon. Your car probably has
R-12 in it. That runs about $150.00 per pound. If the system needs more than 1
and 1/2 or two pounds of Freon, the A/C clutch will not engage at all. The
system probably holds a total of 3 or 4 lbs of Freon.

The A/C compressor is suppose to run and cycle when the defroster is on.

Paul