Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 11:51 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 82 AC clutch-another thought

Larry:  Others on the List are responding but none have addressed this particular view.  When you engage the defrosters, yes, a door does close--it will shut off air from the heater outlet and the dash outlets and put all the air to the windshield.  It is designed to do that to give you maximum heat and air flow during humid and warm weather.

Additionally, you didn't say how warm the outside temperature.  If it's just pleasant and not hot, the a/c will cycle on and off.  It's designed to do that.  Some later systems use a "reheat" system where any time the a/c is on, the compressor runs.  Increasing the temperature to warmer just admits more heat into the airflow but the compressor still runs all the time.  Some engineers decided that having the a/c compressor on all the time made for more even humidity in the cabin area.  When you cool air, you remove the humidity.

I have several GM cars with automatic air conditioning and there is no vent position on the control panel.  Even at full heat, the compressor stays on.  You have to turn the system off and open the windows to eliminate the compressor running.  Frustrating to me--I once wired a toggle switch under the dash to cut the compressor on a 75 GM product so I could get all the air out the dash vents.  I soon melted contacts on the switch and had some very hot wires.

On the plus side, both cars have well over 100K miles on them and neither have ever had the compressor off or any problem with the a/c.  Maybe there's something to be said about the compressor running.  Maybe it keeps lubricated that way.

Bob

Larry Noska <lnoska@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The wife and I went for a drive today, the weather was just gorgeous, and I
was the passenger. So I started to test some things.

When I have the defrosters on it sounds like a door is trying to close!!!
And when the AC. is on I hear the same noise, could the AC clutch be
defective?? Does any body out there have a thought on this? I haven't
started to diagnose this trouble yet.

With the AC on I can hear the compressor coming on and going off. It will
finally stay engaged, could this be from lack of use??? Is there a relay
for the AC compressor?

Lawrence R Noska
lnoska@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hauser, ID 83854