Rear Axle/electrical ground/electrolysis

Rear Axle/electrical ground/electrolysis

I think that in order to adjust the end play correctly, you will need to obtain
a "dial indicator" to measure it.

This reminds me of another story about one of my cars. The rear wheel bearing
in my '65 Imperial failed years ago due to an electrical grounding problem. I
unknowingly replaced the bearing the first time, adjusted it correctly, and
drove the car less than one year, and it failed again. This time the axle also
had to be replaced.

I had been experiencing some electrical problems with the car at the same time
so I took it to one of the best Auto Electric's in town at the time. They found
that the engine was grounding through the rear axle. Apparently there was
arcing in the bearing, causing it to fail. I believe that they installed a new
engine to body ground strap. I haven't had any more trouble with it.

Since then I have been told (but never confirmed) that there is an inherent
electrical design flaw in '64, '65, '66 Imperials that has to do with the
grounding of the luggage compartment light switch. This causes electrolysis and
corrosion in the upper body on the drivers side of the car. The man who told me
this was a retired electrical engineer in Oregon who had a '65 Crown that he
had taken apart and found this to be the case.

I know that the body panel between the rear window and the trunk lid often
developes rust on these cars, but I had always thought this was due to water
leaking into the trunk.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Paul