53 and 54 ruby encrusted Crowns

When I did the major resto work on my '54 Custom Imperial, I also restored the
gold/ruby crowns.  They are the loveliest touch of jewelry on a black sedan and
number a total of 8--four on the body and one on each wheelcover.  On earlier
Imperials, they are a cast crown with cloisonne ruby inlays.  On the '53/54,
they are a stamped metal with a red plastic insert.  They can be taken apart
and the metal crowns re-gilded by most any plater.  The "rubies" can be cleaned
up and polished as long as they are clear and haven't turned cloudy.  A key to
their sparkle is the silver "mirror" backing that reflects light back thru the
red plastic.  That silvering tends to flake off, and just painting silver paint
won't give you the sparkle.  I found sheets of an adhesive-backed silver mylar
at a hobby shop that is shiny on the sticky side.  It's easily  pressed on to
the back of the plastic "rubies" and looks great.
When I showed my '54 at it's first AACA meet in Dearborn, I was backing into my
assigned space, when a man ran up to me and said I was in the wrong class and
should go back to registration.  I said, I thought I was in the right class,
and he said "This is a  Crown Imperial, isn't it?"  That would put it into
class that features other very low production, exclusive cars.  "No, I said,
it's but a simple Custom."  "But it has all those Crowns on it........"

Cheers,
Roger