440 exhaust manifold gasket

FWIW the B and RB engines did not come factory-equipped with exhaust
manifold gaskets.  The head and manifold were machined to provide a
leakfree fit.  With exhaust gas pressure below 5 psi a gasket just
wasn't necessary.

My 70 LeBaron had an irritating leak that seemed to be right in front of
me.  I lived with it for years but eventually decided that it had to be
fixed.  What a job!  It turned out that the rearmost stud had broken off
flush with the head but the broken piece and nut were still in place.

I can usually get ANY broken bolt/screw out but this one defeated me.
Despite hours of effort and all manner of tools I just couldn't get the
broken piece to budge.  The steering column location didn't help.

I eventually had to pull the head and take it to a machine shop.  I
pulled the other head too and was glad I did since both were slightly
warped.  With resurfaced heads, new gaskets, and no leaks my car ran
better than ever.

Are you having trouble accessing the nuts?  They are a bugger to get at.
If they're stuck I recommend PB Blaster as a loosener.

Pete in PA
70 LeBaron