Bad news for my '59

Bill, you got good advice already.  Here is a side note.  The engine wear is a
rather slow process (especially rings and bores that require the complete
engine rebuild).  If the deterioration happened only recently, this may not be
the case.  Also, the deffective brake booster can cause the vacuum leak and
driveabilty problems.  Its hard to beleive that since the two occured recently,
they are not related.  Finally, even if the compression is indeed too low in
two cylinders, the problem may be in the valves (there is a simple procedure to
identify if the leak is in the rings or valves).  A valve job is far cheaper.
Given that the repair estimate is too high, please consider the possibility
that your mechanic is trying to take advantage of you.

Here are a few syptoms of a worn out engine in need of complete overhaul.  Blue
smoke is emitted continously, especially when engine revved or loaded (you may
be able to see the smoke behind you).  Often the rear bumper is covered with a
layer of oil after a long drive (but that depends on how your exhaust tips are
routed).  Spark plugs get overwelmed with oil and need to be removed and
cleaned rather frequently.  Car is hard to start when cold.  You need to add
one quart of oil every 200-500 miles (assuming no leaks).  Poor oil pressure.

If all or most of the above do not occur, do not go to that mechanic ever
again.

D^2

Quoting Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx: