buying a car long distance

I'm on Long Island in NY and have two cars, both of which came from Ca. I pretty much got beat on the first car. I hired an appraiser that I found in Hemmings to go look at it. His report came back pretty positive. He did mention that the paint was questionable but said he thought it could be saved with some wet sanding, buffing, etc. Turns out when the car showed up the paint was cracked and alligatored beyound repair, not to mention a number of other mechanical problems with the car.

Not being one to learn from my experiences, I found a second car out west (68 Imp Convert) on a website that I absolutely loved. I had several conversations with the owner and hired a (different) appraiser to look at the car. Got a positive report back. Very pleased with the car, got exactly what I paid for.

In both cases the transfer of money involved an element of trust. In the first case I wound up overnighting a bank check the day before the transporter picked up the car. In the second case I wired funds on the same day the transporter picked up the car. Most transporters that I've asked will not handle the transfer of funds, so I guess you're and the counterparty are pretty much stuck trusting each other, unelss you can find a local attny who will hold escrow and handle the transfer.

Tom
60 NYer coupe and 68 Imp Convert