Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: IML: LeBaron vs Custom and crown

Bill,
Your comments in regard to  the LeBaron, Crown, and Custom do not always hold true.  I own a '59 Crown Southampton and a '59 LeBaron 4-door sedan.  The only difference between the exterior of a ''57 through '59 Crown and Custom was the little gold crowns above the eagle on the leading edge of the fenders on the Crown.  There were no other exterior trim differences.  The interior of the LeBaron was not necessarily of higher quality than the Crown, it was simply more formal in appearance.  My '59 Crown has full leather interior and the same swivel seats that were an option on the LeBaron.  Where the Crown had bright chrome on the door panels, the LeBaron had wood grain (applique).  If you want to talk quality of materials,  the wide chrome mouldings on the door panels of the Crown is definitely of higher quality than the applied faux woodgrain on the door panels of the LeBaron.  I personally prefer the door panels on my Crown over my LeBaron.  The interior on the Crown might appear "sportier"? than that of the LeBaron during that period.  The Custom's interior is definitely more "New Yorker like" in appearence.
Kurt Arends
'59 Crown Southampton
'59 LeBaron sedan