bulbs for '68 taillights

The 1034 is the older version of the 1157.   The specs are nearly
identical - the only difference in the design sheet is that the estimated
life of the 32 CP filament in the 1034 is 200 hours, while the same filament
in the 1157 is rated at 600 hours.

Now there is an even tougher bulb available, for which I do not have the
design specs (it's too new for my data sheets);  it is the 2157, again a
substitute for both of the above, but much more tolerant of vibration, and
much longer life.  These are what is used in over-the-road trucks - they are
TOUGH!

Mark, I'm sorry the 67 didn't solve your problem entirely to your
satisfaction.  I take it you didn't try the 89 yet.    The original 1095
used an S8 bulb, which placed the center of intensity 1.25 inches up from
the contact base, in a 2 inch total height bulb.

The 67 has exactly the same electrical specs as the 1095, including
candlepower, but uses a G6 bulb, which places the center of light intensity
13/16 inches up from the contact base, 7/16 of an inch lower than the
original 1095.  This moves the spot somewhat out of the focus point,
apparently, thus the appearance of less intensity when installed in a 68.

The 89 has the same base, but slightly higher candlepower (6  CP instead of
4 CP).  The center of intensity is only 1/16 inch higher than the 67, but
that plus the higher CP might make a very close match - give that a try and
let us know how it works out.

Next time I venture into civilization, I will ask in our NAPA store if they
can still obtain the 1095 bulbs out here - if they can, I'll try to order a
box.  If that works, I'll make them available to members of the club at
cost.  I last bought them about 1 year ago.  Our store has been in business
for at least 25 years, so mine might have been old stock.

Dick Benjamin