Re (2): IML: Fixing Govt mandated 68 bulbs

Re (2): IML: Fixing Govt mandated 68 bulbs

Mark,

This doesn't add up to me.

All six taillamps are on the same circuit as each other (both years), and all
four or six brake/turn lamps (for 67 or 68, respectively) were on another
circuit. A failure in the taillamp circuit will not substitute a brake lamp, so
if the fuse for all of your parking lamps blew, you'd be driving around with no
taillamps. If your brake lamp fuse blew (or some other circuit failure
occurred), you'd have no brake lamps but it would not affect your taillamps.

Further, it was perfectly legal in 1967, 1968 and is still legal to have a
single dual-filament bulb per side in the rear of the car (a Ford Focus or
Dodge neon has just such a set-up).

The only safety benefit I can imagine from the 1968 setup would be that having
the inner lamp not used by the brake and turn signals, a non-flashing turn
signal would be slightly more obvious at night (because you could see that part
of the lamp is brighter).

Honestly, I think they just did it to save a few cents, or chances are some
people might have complained that the giant brake lamps of the '67 were too
bright to cars following at night. One things for sure, the 67 certainly
compensated for the tiny brake lamps of the '64-66!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon