Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: IML: flash chromed stainless

I thought I was pretty well informed after 55 years of playing with old
cars, but this is the first time I have heard of anyone chrome plating
stainless!   I only have one question:   Why?

Properly buffed stainless is beautiful - perhaps the color is subtly
different, but I sure never noticed it.

Stainless trim never develops "pits", so if your parts are pitted, I think
they are not stainless, at least not the type of stainless I've ever come
across.

If they are pot metal, I agree, they must be stripped of the old chrome
before they can be repaired.  This is a very expensive process (the pit
repair I mean) but there are shops that specialize in this.  I don't think
it is practical to "buff off" chrome - I'll bet a buck that the piece melts
before all the chrome is gone - that stuff is hard as the hubs of hell!  The
proper way to remove chrome is in a plater's bath, running backwards of
course.

Dick Benjamin