flash chromed stainless

I'd appreciate some feedback on this factory process and
what you've done out there to restore the trim.  Took my '55
[lesser] chrome plated stainless side trim to the plating
shop today for stripping, because on one side of the car the
trim was pitted.  He says that only by dipping and removing
the chrome can the stainless be buffed out, but the
stainless will be "yellow," not "blue."  He also said no one
in the universe flash chromes stainless any more, so one
either has to find good virgin pieces or strip and buff the
stainless.

I remember a thread a while back about buffing stainless.
According to this master plater you either have to strip the
chrome or buff it away.

Any one out there gone thru this problem?  What cars used
flash chromed stainless and what used plain stainless?

--Roger van Hoy, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '42 DeSoto, '66
Plymouth, '81 Imperial, Washougal, WA