hard start when hot

Quoting Kerry Pinkerton <pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx>:

> If your hard starting when hot is indeed caused by fuel vapor it is PROBABLY
> caused by fuel expanding in the carb bowl when the carb soaks the engine heat
> after you stop.  The fuel can expand and overflow the bowl and run down into
> the engine flooding it.  Lowering the fuel level by adjusting the float can
> solve this and has on several of my Mopars including a 54, 64, and two 73's.

If that's the case, you can identify it by a strong gasoline smell when you
open the air cleaner.  If this is what happens, then get in you car, hold the
throttle ALL the way down (don't move it up and down, this will only pump more
gas) and crank. After a few cranks, the engine will start caughing.  That's the
tme when you slowly back off the throttle progressively, and the engine will
start speeding up.

D^2