Neutral starter or neutral safety switch

Neutral starter or neutral safety switch

Well, Bill, you are bad mouthing me, which is your exact intention.  Your need to be rude and begin calling names and casting aspersions speaks volumes about you but does not replace facts.  If I may quote you, sir, :

Under the heading Transmission Neutral Starter Switch is part number 1770 093 - Switch on Manifold for 57-58 Imperial. (Emphasis mine.)

A neutral starter switch is not a neutral safety switch.  Under certain circumstances, using the neutral button to start the engine will not prevent the engine in gear.  Nothing Philippe has described so far prevents it.  Nothing I have seen on my vehicle or in the factory manual would either.

This is a flaw in the system as installed.  With a badly positioned gear selector cable, the electronic activation of the starter will happen upon depression of the neutral button even though the transmission is actually engaged in a driving gear.

I see no need for your ugly attitude simply because I state what I understand to be the facts of the case.  However, since you brought it up, I am not referring to the same person who helped me with my brakes.  The gentleman in question in this case is a fully qualified, factory trained technician, who is currently the manage of a large dealership service department.  As the transmission was removed at the time and as we had the manual open for reference at the same time and we found nothing missing or broken, you will forgive me if I do not yield to you as you were not present at the time.  No doubt, had you been there, we could have had a jolly time discussing whether or not a neutral starter switch is the same as a neutral safety switch.

Hugh